Sunday, December 18, 2011

Marrying an Alien

Do you know how many forms there are that you have to fill out when you're engaged to be married to someone who is not a citizen of the United States of America and you're an American citizen?

A lot.

Do you know how much money it costs to get forms processed and approved?

A lot.

Do you know how long it takes to get everything processed and approved?

A long, fucking time.

It almost makes you question if it's really worth it.

Then, if you're anything like me, you think about the sound of the other person's voice and the way it makes you feel, how just a word from them fills your entire body with joy and happiness. You think about how devastated you'd feel if that person wasn't in your life any longer and you see a blog post like this:

http://danielakaine.com/2011/12/18/a-quick-update-2/#comment-1113

And you remember how completely, over the moon, in love with this person you are and you realize that you'd fill out forms the size of fucking "War and Peace" as long as you knew that in a few months you'd be holding that person in your arms when you woke up in the morning, as long as you knew that one day you'd be putting your ring on that person's finger, as long as you knew that one day, and one day soon, the whole world would know who that person was to you, that they were yours and that you belonged to them.

And if you're like me you'd know that even with all the forms, fees, interviews, waiting, temporary citizenships, visas, waivers, traveling, airports, airplane, tickets, flights, hotel rooms, rental cars, marrying an alien, for me, marrying my beautiful British alien (who insists on calling Americans silly for our phrases and terms) is 100% totally and completely worth it.


-Vicktor Aleksandr

9 comments:

  1. Ah, been there done that. One piece of advice: make photocopies of everything. Good luck. Is DOMA going to affect you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice. DOMA isn't going to affect us for a number of reasons. My gender marker hasn't changed, #1 and NY has passed the same sex marriage law. So it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA! I'm so calling Daniel an alien from now on. (Oh and this is a sweet post.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank God DOMA won't affect you both! *hughughugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Patty!

    Yeah I'm really glad that DOMA won't be an issue for us. Even though I'd go and do whatever I had to, to marry Daniel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with all the forms. As an alien (Canadian) who married the American I remember the drill, including the police record background check to make sure I didn't have unpaid speeding tickets or whatever. But you're right - absolutely and without question worth all the aggravation to put that ring on his hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kaje. Daniel's already a little overwhelmed just thinking about all the paperwork, but when he gets here in March we'll work it out there. We're both pretty determined to be together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All that paperwork sound harrowing, but I'm sure it'll all be worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I KNOW it will be Blaine. So does he (he better anyway) and that's the only reason why we'd even consider it, the reward is SO worth the cost. I mean honestly, when I think about what I'm getting in return for filling out forms and paying money? I feel like I'm ripping the government off. JMO.

    ReplyDelete

Want to pet The Vic?