Monday, September 5, 2011

Book Review of Anne Tenino's 18% Gray


18 % Gray18 % Gray by Anne Tenino
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I laughed.  I gasped.  My heart clenched.  This was an amazing story, really amazing (*collects money from Anne Tenino.*  Just kidding!)

But seriously.  I loved this book for so many reasons.  The idea of another civil war occurring here in the United States because of sexuality while it seems far-fetched, takes place metaphorically and symbolically on a daily basis.  I loved the back story of Matt and James and I love the fact that when they met back up that it wasn't "insta-love."  Mrs Tenino did a great job with the distrust, attraction, sexual tension, life-threatening situation, fear, and past misunderstandings mixture that made up Matt and James's relationship at the beginning.

The progression of their relationship, Matt's uncertainty with his own desires and needs in his new relationship with James and James's own uncertainty with his "alien brain" made for a very believable science fiction story.  Mrs Tenino did a good job of describing things that the reader wouldn't understand and for this disabled veteran, I found myself having flashbacks with every military reference given.  Mrs Tenino did very good research with all of that.  Even the sex was HOT and for the undercover Dom in me, every time that Matt went into sub space or James got all controlling and dominant?  I shivered.

The bad?  Well, for me it was that the book ended.  I could have continued reading this book for another two hundred pages.  The grampas were HIGH-LARIOUS and even though Benigna got on my LAST nerve I could have even put up with more of her.  The other bad thing?  The teaser of Logan and Laslo.  What happens with them?  They do get their own book correct?

"The Epilogue Whore" wasn't satisfied with the ending and is demanding more from Mrs. Tenino (in a very respectful, kind way of course).  I will definitely be reading this book again and I recommend it to everyone.  I found myself wanting to ask Mrs Tenino where to sign up for QESA (you'll have to read the book to know what that is)and wanting to be a covert spy for the Blue States.  This is a definite must read.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to pet The Vic?